Well it's not looking like an abscess. Farrier came out on fri (vet had been thurs but couldn't find anything)and had a good look. He couldn't find anything either but did remark that his frog was quite spongey so possibly thrush might cause him to be so sore or it could have been a very deep seated abscess. I polticed it from thurs to sun with little evidence of anything coming out but he did get sounder. Then sun, mon and tues, I turned him out in a little pen during the day and scrubbed all his feet and sprayed with antibac when I took him in at night. Tues the farrier came back and put the shoe back on. He watched me trot him up and he was still lame but doesn't think it's anything to do with his foot.
Decided to get the vet back today to be on the safe side. Head vet came and had a really good feel of his leg. Couldn't find any lumps, swellings or heat. Flexioned his fetlock,knee and elbow joints which were all negative. He thinks he may have just tweaked something that just needs a bit of rest for recovery. He was happy with his progress as he's gone from 4/5 lame on thurs to 1/5 today which he said was a quick and significant improvement. But if I'm still worried after the weekend, he's happy to refer him for a scan.
I hope he's not off for too long as he has started to get a bit cheeky. I think he's bored with the time off and being in the little pen alone and his being awkward about being led in. He stops and plants and backs up coming in from the field and does the same trying to get him into his stable. Once he's in the stable he's fine though. Stands quietly and eats his hay so he really is just trying it on I think.
So while the vet was there and I was trying to get him back in his stable, Molly ran behind him. A few weeks ago she nipped his heels and he kicked her in the side of the face and put her teeth through her lip and split her gum. He's been wary of her since so I've been making sure she's shut away when I'm doing stuff with the horses. Today I'd forgotten to shut the back door and she ran out. Anyway, he kicked her again square in the face. How she's not dead after this happening twice I don't know! He just missed her eye and left her with a gaping hole in her face that you could see the white of her eye socket through! So vet had the extra job of stapling her back together. She's bloody lucky I can tell you.
So more rest for George at the mo and fingers crossed he's sound next week!
Going to see a pony for Jess tomorrow night. He's a 16yr old welsh sec A with years of pony club experience which would be great for my 5yr old. Fingers crossed he's as nice as he sounds.
No comments:
Post a Comment