Monday, 16 July 2012

Trip to Ardene.

Well the day after Hamish came last week, George was really lame again.  The swelling on his leg from the haynet incident had increased in size and was quite hot and I was terrified that he was lame cos he'd knackered a ligament.  Rang Hamish and left a message for him to refer us to Ardene for a lameness work up.

Had to have him there by 10.30 so I asked Elizabeth if she'd help load him as Lee was working.  He was a bit stubborn  about loading but went in in about 10 mins. He stamped and kicked all the way to the vet which was pretty disturbing as Jess and I were by ourselves.

George was pretty high when we got there.  Not surprising really.  Took him a few trot ups and some lunging to calm down.  The lameness was pretty obvious and Alice said it was about a 2/5.  She decided to start with a nerve block to the heel which he blocked sound to so they x-rayed his foot.  The results were good news.  There was evidence of an abscess tract which runs from the left side of his frog up into his heel. It was unclear if it still contained pus so the advice is to dry poltice it and leave him out with plenty of cover over it to keep it dry and bring him back next week for another x-ray.  I'm so relieved.  I really thought it was going to be bad news.

Then the big git took an hour to load.  He just planted and flat refused to go in.  I've got a huge blister on my finger from fighting with him.  Alice put the chifney on him and he wouldn't go in with that either. We reversed the trailer up to the loading chute.  Well Alice did at managed to smash the light covers on the fence post.  However, he went in after 5 mins then thank goodness.  He travelled quietly most of the way home but was really sweaty when we got back.  I think we're going to get full width bars and try without the partition next time.

I polticed his foot and turned him out and he's been grazing quietly since.  Fingers crossed for a quick recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment