I tried some in hand work with him but he was so obsessed with his reflection that he was oblivious to me. So I got on and the trouble began. He hauled me right up to the top of the school and refused to leave the mirrors! I was really scared to begin with as he was doing mini rears and pulling me about. I ended up getting off, crying yelling at husband and then growing a pair and getting back on
He really was just lacking confidence. There was nothing malicious in him but I really needed to make sure I got the upper hand as I didn't want him to think I could be pushed around.
I rode for a good half and hour which mostly consisted of shouting, kicking and swearing, but the more I did, the more confident I became and the less he resisted. In the end, I was able to do a couple of circles away from the mirrors wihout too much of a fight but he still wasn't a happy boy.
I emailed the videos to Emily and she thought I handled it well. Said perhaps carry a stick and try to keep my hands lower next time but I was quick to praise him when he was forward which was good. She's said she'll come with us next time we go and we'll take a lunge whip to chase him with if he messes about!
Janet also commented and thought there was a bit of stallion behaviour there but I'm not sure. Rather than being confrontational to the mirrors, he seemed to get comfort from them when he was next to his reflection so I'm more inclined to think it was a confidence thing.
Anyway, it actually gave me a bit of confidence to know that I can cope with him if he's naughty. After the initial tears and fear, I was a different person! Determined and positive so I KNOW I can do it. He was going to have a day off today but not now. Going to ride him in the school this morning, just to make sure he's not going to play up at home. He's getting his teeth done tomorrow so he'll get the day off then.
Video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAfKQDjDXPc
No comments:
Post a Comment